CCWA will accept 2023 Archery Deer Hunting applications starting June 12th through August 11th.
The number of permits issued are determined using a lottery system based on timber harvest activities and available hunt areas. Applicants are selected in August using a lottery to fill slots. Preference is given to Clayton County applicants, with any remaining slots filled by other county residents. Once lottery selection has taken place, notification letters are mailed, and fees are due September 5th.
REGULATIONS FOR HUNTING ON CCWA PROPERTY
Season Hunt Fees
Season Hunt Fees:
Clayton Season Guests: $120.00
Other County Residents: $180.00
*U.S. Military Veterans are eligible for a $20 discount.
Fees for the selected hunters will be due by September 5.
Note for Season pass holders/ guests: the selected season pass holder may bring one guest per weekend with them to hunt on their site. The guest will pay $20.00 per weekend. Guests under 16 years of age are free.
Schedule and Operation of Public Hunts
Schedule and Operation of Public Hunts: six weekends
September: 8th – 10th, 15th – 17th, 22nd – 24th
November: 3rd – 5th, 10th -12th, 17th – 19th
Note: Public access begins at 2:30 PM on Fridays and 5:30 AM on Saturdays & Sundays. Legal hunting ends 30 minutes after sundown.
*Scouting only on Friday September 8th. Season and hunting begin on Saturday September 9th.
2023 Hunt Application is now available here and at our reservoir recreation areas.
- Once completed, application may be:
- Emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Turned in at the Shamrock (2688 Shamrock Road, Jonesboro) or J.W. Smith (143 North Bridge Road, Hampton) reservoir fishing area pay station box.
- Mailed to:
Clayton County Water Authority
Attention: Recreation Staff
2688 Shamrock Road
Jonesboro, GA 30236
For more information, call 678.561.9417
The undersigned Deer Hunter, for and in consideration of the fee charged, and other good and valuable considerations, in hand paid, the receipt and sufficiency of which are hereby acknowledged, and in further consideration of the Clayton County Water Authority allowing the undersigned to become a participant in a managed hunt(s) of White-tailed deer on property belonging to the Clayton County Water Authority, the undersigned does hereby release and discharge the Clayton County Water Authority, its officers, directors, management, employees, and members of the Board of the Clayton County Water Authority , of and from, any and all claims arising out of or by virtue of the undersigned being allowed to deer hunt on property of the Clayton County Water Authority. This release is executed by the undersigned, for and on behalf of the undersigned, his or her heirs, successors, representatives or assigns, and is intended to be a full and complete release of the Clayton County Water Authority of any and all claim that the undersigned may now or hereafter have against the Clayton County Water Authority arising out of, or in any way connected with the undersigned’s presence on the property of the Clayton County Water Authority for purposes of participating in a managed deer hunt(s).
The undersigned acknowledges that the property of the Clayton County Water Authority where the managed hunt will occur is used as a spray irrigation field for land application treatment of wastewater and contains pipes, sprinkler heads and other apparatus incidental to such use. The undersigned acknowledges that he/she is a mere licensee whose right to remain on the property of the Clayton County Water Authority is terminable at will and without notice. The undersigned agrees to vacate the property at such time(s) as the Clayton County Water Authority or its representative in sole discretion determines is appropriate.
The undersigned expressly assumes all risks and damages incidental to the White-tailed deer managed hunt(s) conducted on the property of the Clayton County Water Authority. The undersigned agrees and stipulates that the Clayton County Water Authority, its officers, agents, employees, and Board Members are not responsible or liable for any injuries sustained and does hereby release any claim against them arising directly or indirectly from any such injury.
As evidenced by the below signature the signee has read and agrees to abide by the above release and all regulations governing the hunts on Authority Property to include both State Law and special regulations set by the Clayton County Water Authority.
- Hunters are responsible to insure that they have the proper license; all State laws and license are enforced and required.
- No firearms are allowed on Water Authority Property.
- Only deer may be harvested: Bucks must have a least 8 points and minimum inside spread of 13 inches.
- Hunters must use personal state issued deer tags.
- Alcoholic beverages are NOT permitted on Authority property.
- Hunters must check in and out at the designated area. Hunters will be allowed to use personal vehicles on designated roads. No all terrain vehicles allowed.
- Vehicle permits must always be displayed in plain view when on CCWA property.
- All hunters are required to wear 500 sq. Inches of orange above the waist at all times.
- Hunting areas will be assigned by lottery. Areas will be assigned by Authority Staff.
- Pre-hunt scouting and hunting is allowed only on specified date and times.
- Portable stands only, no nails in trees. Stands may be placed during pre – hunt scouting and left until the last day of the hunts.
- When tracking crippled deer please consider other hunters. Wait until 10:00 a.m. to start tracking. If you are unsure of other hunters locations check with personnel at the check station.
- Please remove any flagging tape that you used when the hunt is complete.
- If you intend to give a harvested deer away you must attach a note to the deer with the following data: name, address, date, hunting license number, and the person’s name receiving the deer.
- Any hunter who violates state law or special regulations set forth by the Clayton County Water Authority is subject to losing their hunting privileges on Authority property, which will result in forfeiture of the hunting fee.
- Any lost and found or illegal hunter equipment found on Authority property is to be turned over to Clayton County Water Authority or Dept. of Natural Resources personnel.
- The Clayton County Water Authority is not responsible or liable for loss, theft, damage or destruction of any person’s personal property.
- All trash /litter must be self contained and disposed of properly. Littering is prohibited.
- No hunting within 100 yards of private property or residences.
Our main goal is to reduce the deer herd, all hunters are encouraged to harvest does.
HUNT SAFELY; WEAR YOUR ORANGE VEST AND SAFETY STRAP IN YOUR STAND.