CCWA is accepting 2019 Archery Deer Hunting applications through August 9. The number of permits issued are determined using a lottery system based on timber harvest activities and available hunt areas. Applicants are selected August 10 using a lottery to fill slots. Preference is given to Clayton County applicants, with any remaining slots filled by other county residents. Once lottery selection has taken place, notification letters are mailed and fees are due by September 4.
Season Hunt Fees:
Clayton Season Guests: $120.00
Other county residents: $180.00
Season pass holders/ guests: the selected season pass holder may bring one guest per weekend with them to hunt on their site. The guest will pay $20.00 per weekend. Guests under 16 years of age are free.
Schedule and Operation of Hunts: Six Weekends
September 13 – 15
September 20 – 22
Septembre 27 – 29
November 1 – 3
November 8 – 10
November 15 – 17
During hunting season, public access begins at 2:30 p.m. on Fridays and 5:30 a.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. Legal hunting ends 30 minutes after sundown.
Application is available and at our reservoir recreation areas. Once completed, application may be:
1. Emailed to: email@example.com
2. Mailed to:
Clayton County Water Authority
Attention: Recreation Staff
2688 Shamrock Road
Jonesboro, GA 30236
3. Turned in at the Shamrock (2688 Shamrock Road, Jonesboro) or J.W. Smith (143 North Bridge Road, Hampton) reservoir fishing area pay station box.
For more information, call 770.603.5605.
Regulations for Archery Deer Hunting on CCWA Property
- Hunters are responsible for insuring that they have the proper license; all State laws and license are enforced and required.
- No firearms are allowed on Water Authority Property.
- Only deer may be harvested: Bucks must have at least 8 points and minimum inside spread of 13 inches.
- Hunters must use/fill out personal state issued deer harvest forms.
- Alcoholic beverages are not permitted on Authority property.
- Hunters must check in and out at the designated area. Hunters will be allowed to use personal vehicles on designated roads. ** No all terrain vehicles allowed **
- All hunters are required to wear 500 sq. inches of orange above the waist at all times.
- Pre-hunt scouting and hunting is allowed only on specified date and times.
- Portable climbing stands or pop up ground blinds only. All hunt equipment must be removed at the end of each weekend hunt.
- All deer must be brought to the check station after being field dressed by the hunter.
- When tracking crippled deer, please consider other hunters. Wait until 10 a.m. to start tracking. If you are unsure of other hunters locations, check with personnel at the check station.
- Please remove any flagging tape that you used when the hunt is complete.
- If you intend to give a harvested deer away, you must attach a note to the deer with the following data – name, address, date, hunting license number, and the person’s name receiving the deer.
- Hunting areas will be assigned by lottery. Areas will be assigned by CCWA Staff.
- Any hunter who violates state law or special regulations set forth by the Clayton County Water Authority is subject to losing their hunting privileges on Authority property, which will result in forfeiture of the hunting fee.
- Any lost and found or illegal hunter equipment found on Authority property is to be turned over to Clayton County Water Authority or Dept. of Natural Resources personnel.
- The Clayton County Water Authority is not responsible or liable for loss, theft, damage or destruction of any person’s property.
- All trash/litter must be self-contained and disposed of properly: Littering is prohibited.
- No hunting within 100 yards of private residences.
Our main goal is to reduce the deer herd, all hunters are encouraged to harvest does.
HUNT SAFELY; WEAR YOUR ORANGE VEST AND SAFETY STRAP IN YOUR STAND.