Customer Service

My water service was disconnected due to non-payment on my account. Can I turn the water back on myself?

No. CCWA requires that once service has been disconnected due to non-payment, the customer must pay the outstanding balance on the account, including disconnect and reconnect fees. The forms of payments accepted are cash, debit or credit cards. Checks are not accepted for this type of service. Any one caught tampering with a CCWA water meter will be fined $500 per incident for a single family residential account and $1,500 per incident for a multi-family or commercial account.

« See all FAQ's in this category

« See all Frequently Asked Questions

Enjoy all the comforts
of home - while saving water, energy & money.


Visit our
Wetlands Center

Learn more about the importance of protecting wetlands environments.